Monday, September 30, 2013

A lot like love...

So, as promised, I am back. Although, technically, I never left. :P

So, as I said, I left out a few people in my first post. People that made a profound stamp on my life after my teens, when they say the real life of a person starts, when you leave the home, go to college, get a job, make a life.

I figured the the first person on this list deserves an entire post of her own. So, here goes.
This is about someone whom anybody who knew me back in my college days would know.
I still remember the day like it was yesterday. I think it was the second day of college, and I hadn't brought any pencils to class(typical of me). It was the engineering graphics class. So if you don't have a pencil, you might as well not be in class. So, I say, excuse me, can I borrow your pencil, she says, okay and gives me this tiny little pencil, the lead of which broke as soon as I pressed it on the paper. Another incident I clearly remember is her yelling at me because I commented on her dress and we weren't really friends then. The next thing I remember was asking her cell number.

In typical movie fashion, boy sees girl, boy goes crazy, boy talks to girl, gets even crazier, almost asks her out, just to realise she already has a boyfriend, asks me to be her friend. Now, that is where the cliché's ended. I said okay, lets be friends, and trust me, that changed everything. I had the most amazing time in college with her, so much so that I basically don't remember much about my college other than her. Details are for some other time, because frankly I could write a book. Anyway, fast forward to end of the awesome college days, we reach Chennai together. People don't really believe when I say this, but I had an amazing time there, inspite of all the heat, the humidity, the narrow minded people, lack of fun places, lack of good food. Impossible to not enjoy in good company. From there, we move to Bangalore, where another twist awaited me. Priorities change, relationships weaken, life changes. I spend perhaps a few of the toughest months of my life there. I believe Einstein once said "I am thankful to all those who said no. It's because of them, I did it myself." I am thankful to her for saying NO at the right time, right place, in the right scenario. Then I got all the motivation I needed to crack the GRE, TOEFL and here I am, in (arguably) the best country in the world working on stuff that I really care about. She stopped living my life for me, handed me the reigns. Its just one of those things, when the time is right, the stars align, and life changes for the better.

Note: I assume you notice the lack of any first name, I think its for the best.
I called her Sweets, let us all just call her that. :)

<<<Dhiraj>>>

4 comments:

  1. Dhiraj a wonderful post yet again! I especially love "She stopped living my life for me, handed me the reigns. Its just one of those things, when the time is right, the stars align, and life changes for the better." It is so important we take charge of our life. A very dear friend once told me "Only one person is responsible for your happiness and that person is you."

    Keep writing!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the way you've aligned the moments !
    Good one bhai :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have aligned the initials for you, don't know abut the time but hope the sequence is right ;)
    PB.......

    I miss all the college days as well the days spent together... miss ur company and the fun we had...

    your posts brought back all the memories....(tho you forgot to mention our big man and our interceptor :) )
    Keep blogging

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, well.. Dhiraj Rajani!! :) FB led me to your blog and, I gotta say bro, gr8 stuff!! Love your posts- very well written especially this one! ;) Yeah, this totally brought back memories of the old days as Terry said above- miss them a lot... keep writing dude- looking forward to some more great posts. :)

    And yeah u did forget to mention us! haha..never mind.. :) Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete